What’s between you and your goals and dreams might be as simple as good or bad Habits!! Check this out!
1) Get up and get ready like you’re going in to the office
This is where a lot of people fail when they start their own home based business, including me.
It’s so easy to sleep in when you’re Working from home, specially if you’re one of those (like me) that loves to sleep and could stay in bed the whole day. No matter how good bed is – if you want to make your home based office work, you need to get up and get ready like you’re going to the office.
Of course you can have days now and then when you don’t dress up – but the days I wake up, get dressed and fix my hair&makeup, are always the days I get most done. It’s all about creating good habits. Get a structure on your day.
(Tips to get out of bed easily: create a dreamboard/visionboard so you know what you’re working for! And when you’re out: Make the bed so it’s not that easy to jump back in.)
2) Have a place to work from
Wherever in the world you are, have a place to work from.
I’ve been travelling and moving around a lot while building my online business – and I can really tell a difference from the hotels/apartments I have stayed where I have had a desk vs the places I have not had one.
If you end up just sitting in your sofa, at the dining table ++ you might start to do other things during your “office” hours: you might see the laundary that you should have done yesterday, or look over at the kitchen bench that is full off stuff you should have cleaned up ++ You can’t focus!
If you set up an “office”, you will sit down and think: Ok, now I’m going to work…
3) Have a plan, set deadlines
When you’re your own boss it’s up to you to get things done. And to get things done you need a plan and deadlines.
If you wake up without a plan – There is a big chance (my experience) That you will waste time on other stuff.. You wake up and don’t really know what you’re up to, so you might aswell sleep a few extra hours, or go and meet some friends, do some extra classes at your gym – and before you know it, the day is over…
If you have a plan, and know exactly what you’re going to get done – you will wake up, and get started on your “To Do” list.
4) If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it First Thing in the morning
When you have your plan ready, It’s so easy to put off the things you don’t like doing, till the end of the day. What will happend in the end of the day is most likely this:
– You don’t have any time left to do it, and you will make up an exuse for yourself so you can justify it: “I did all this other work today, so I guess it’s ok to putt it off untill tomorrow”
– OR If you still have time – you’re tired from all the other things you have done and are not focused like you were in the early morning when you started working – so even if you get the tasks done, it might not be done 100%, and you might not get the results you expected either. This is bad because very often, the tasks that we keep putting in the end of our list, are the most important tasks that will move your business forward!
SO – “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the BIGGEST one first.”
5) “You” time
Some people think working all day will make you more productive. It will not. Choose your hours, and choose those hours you know you are most productive – and work them!
In between – allow yourself to have a break, go for lunch, meet some people – have some YOU time where you turn off all work and think about something else.
Even if you’re super busy, and don’t feel like you have time for this – try – I think you will see that you actaully get more done by taking this break!
Whatever gives you energy and recharges your batteries – Go for it!
Hope this was helpful! These #5 are still helping me to stay focused and to work against my goals as my own boss. Not only from home, but also when I’m out travelling -Berit